The Bollywood Brass Academy is the education arm of Bollywood Brass Band. We run workshops in schools and large-scale projects with partners such as Music Education Hubs, venues and festivals. We have produced free downloadable resources available directly from us, plus a series of tutor books and arrangements for brass and wind, published by Clifton Edition.
Large-scale funded projects include:
2012 Bollywood Blast!, in partnership with Music Hubs in North London (funded by the London Music fund).
2013 East West Project, in partnership with Greenwich and Lewisham Music Education Hubs (funded by the London Music fund).
2017 Independence, in partnership with Slough Music Hub, Music for Bedford and Middleton Youth Band to celebrate the 70th anniversary of Indian Independence (funded by Arts Council England).
2019-2022 Progression Project, in partnership with Jyotsna Srikanth, Kent Music, Services for Education – Birmingham, and Music Hubs across South and West Yorkshire.
BBA is led by Kay Charlton who writes on music education and has published education resources.
The Bollywood Brass Academy’s priorities are to:
- Diversify brass repertoire
- To help Music Education Hubs promote progression and continuation on instruments as outlined in the vision of the National Plan for Music Education (NPME)
- To deliver Arts Award
- To give young people experience of playing with professional musicians
- To enable parents to become further engaged in children’s learning and see children taking part in high quality performances
- Promote new partnerships between organisations
- To provide a selection of free resources: arrangements and backing tracks, Arts Award logbooks